Voter Registration

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers Regarding Voter Registration, directly from MahaSEC

What are the main categories of voters in India?

There are 3 categories of electors in India:–

  1. General electors
  2. Oversees (NRI) electors
  3. Service Electors.

Yes, You Have To Fill Up Form 6 for Voter Registration

Every Indian citizen who has attained the age of 18 years on the qualifying date, i.e. first day of January of the year of revision of electoral roll, unless otherwise disqualified, is eligible to be registered as a voter in the roll of the part/polling area of the constituency where he is ordinarily resident.

You can find Your Name by using this website Or You can search in Voter Helpline app

Please Visit your nearest Tahasil Office Or The Information is available on website

You can check the application status by login into the Voter portal ( ) and clicking on ‘Track Application’.

No. A person who is not a citizen of India is not eligible for registration as a voter in the electoral rolls in India. Even those who have ceased to be citizens of India on acquiring the citizenship of another country are not eligible to be enrolled in the electoral rolls in India.

You have to vote at the polling station where your name is registered in Electoral Roll

An overseas elector is a person who is a citizen of India and who has not acquired citizenship of any other country and is otherwise eligible to be registered as a voter and who is absenting from his place of ordinary residence in India owing to his employment, education or otherwise is eligible to be registered as a voter in the constituency in which his place of residence in India as mentioned in his passport is located.  According to the provisions of Section 20A of the Representation of People Act, 1950, an NRI settled in a foreign land can become an elector in the electoral roll in India.

According to Section 14 (b) of the Representation of People Act, 1950 the relevant date (qualifying date) for determining the age of an applicant is the first day of January of the year in which the electoral roll after revision is finally published. For example, if you have completed or are completing 18 years of age on any date from and after 2nd January 2020 but upto to 1st January 2021, you will be eligible for registration as a voter in the elector roll going to be finally published in January, 2021.

In case of a student residing at the place of study, in hostel or mess managed by the educational institutions or elsewhere will have the option to get himself/herself registered as elector at his/her native place with his/her parents or at the address of hostel/mess where he/she is resident for the time being for pursuing his/her studies. The course pursued by the said students should be recognized by Central/State Governments / Boards /Universities/Deemed Universities and such courses should be of not less than 1 year’s duration. Such student who wants to enroll himself / herself at the hostel / mess will have to attach a bonafide certificate (as per the specimen at Annexure II of Guidelines attached to Form 6 available on the website of Election Commission) from the Headmaster / Principal / Director / Registrar / Dean of his/her educational institution with Form 6.

In case of homeless persons, the Booth Level Officer will visit the address given in Form 6 at night to ascertain that the homeless person actually sleeps at the place which is given as his address in Form 6. If the Booth Level Officer is able to verify that the homeless person actually sleeps at that place, no documentary proof of place of residence shall be necessary. Booth Level Officer must visit for more than one night for such verification.

Yes, Overseas Indians can register themselves as Indian voters. They have to fill Form 6A.

You will have to fill Form 8 for correcting the wrong particulars entered in your voter details.

You will have to fill Form 7 to delete your name from old Assembly and also fill Form 6 to enter newly in new Assembly. 

You can fill Form 7 for objecting to the inclusion or deleting the name from Electoral Roll.